Saturday, January 27, 2007

I feel it closing in...

Joy Division: Under Review, an interesting, albeit short, documentary on the life and times of the band and the albums, was a 3 star rating film for me.

While it was informative to me, as someone whose knowledge of Joy Division stems from a few conversations about them with some musician friends, and the movie 24 Hour Party People, the informed Joy Division fan will find it severely lacking in substance. Essentially a fist full of people, most of them rock critics, talking about the music and it's influence, overlayed with performance footage, songs, and a recording of Ian Curtis at one point, it begs for a more in depth treatment.

Perhaps there is no market for a documentary about Joy Division seeing as how this film had only been rated by 64 people on netflix, but I would like to see interviews with former members of the band, Tony Wilson, current bands, and Joy Division's contemporaries, all putting the band and Ian Curtis in context of the times. Maybe the film, 24 Hour Party People is enough, or maybe one of the films about New Order answers many of the questions I have. I'll get back to you on that.

This band blows me away. I forget how good and timeless they are.


No comments: